Severe Weather Policy for 2007 NCAA Cross Country Championships
For the safety of all spectators, student-athletes, officials and coaches the following will be used in case of severe weather (e.g., cold temperatures and / or heavy snow):
1. The Meet Director and NCAA Representative will monitor the weather during the week and morning of the championship.
2. At the coaches meeting on Friday if there are expected delays due to weather at the championships the coaches should be given a central information location and/or phone number to call for information on delays and/or postponement to the following day. Then the host can leave a message at that number alerting coaches of different start times or a delay in course inspection times due to inclement weather or frost. This number should be placed in the information with the coaches packets and on the meet website.
3. The Games Committee will determine whether the start of the meet should be delayed or if the meet should be postponed until the following day.† All consideration should be taken in regards to the policies toward competition on Sunday for each institution.†
4. If the race has already begun and would have to be suspended in the middle of the competition the NCAA Track & Field Committee would recommend the following:
††††† Womenís 6,000 meter - if competition is suspended before the 2000 meters mark you may run the same day with a two hour delay.† If competition is suspended after 2000 meters we would recommend postponement until the next day.
††††† Menís 8,000 meter - if competition is suspended before the 3000 meters mark you may run the same day with a two hour delay.† If competition is suspended after 3000 meters we would recommend postponement until the next day.
5. If necessary, competition may be postponed until Sunday, per NCAA policy, with competition not starting prior to This information must be communicated with all involved institutions.
6. Prior to decisions on delaying or postponing competition, discussions must take place and approval must be granted by contacting Kristin Steckmesser (317/966-6441) at the national office and Vanessa Seljeskog (612-819-1097), the chair of the Division III subcommittee.
7. If the meet is postponed to Sunday because of severe weather, the following time schedule may be used.
††††† ††††† Womenís 6,000 Meter Race† †
††††† †††† Menís 8,000 Meter Race