St. Olaf CollegeAcademic CatalogSt. Olaf College

Table of Contents

An Education for the 21st Century: Academic Life
» The Mission
» The St. Olaf Curriculum
» Majors and More
» The 4-1-4 Calendar
» Academic Advising
» Academic Support
» Academic Resources
» The Campus

Graduation Requirements
Academic Regulations and Procedures
International and Off-Campus Studies
Special Programs
Admissions and Financial Aid
Life Outside the Classroom
People
Facts and Figures
College Calendar

Registrar's Office
Admin 224
1520 St. Olaf Avenue
Northfield, MN 55057

507-646-3015
507-646-3210 FAX
registrar@stolaf.edu

 

Please note: This is NOT the most current catalog.

An Education for the 21st Century: Academic Life at St. Olaf

The Mission of St. Olaf College

St. Olaf, a four-year college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, provides an education committed to the liberal arts, rooted in the Christian Gospel, and incorporating a global perspective. In the conviction that life is more than a livelihood, it focuses on what is ultimately worthwhile and fosters the development of the whole person in mind, body, and spirit.

Now in its second century, St. Olaf College remains dedicated to the high standards set by its Norwegian immigrant founders. In the spirit of free inquiry and free expression, it offers a distinctive environment that integrates teaching, scholarship, creative activity, and opportunities for encounter with the Christian Gospel and God's call to faith. The college intends that its graduates combine academic excellence and theological liter-acy with a commitment to lifelong learning.

St. Olaf College strives to be an inclusive community, respect-ing those of differing backgrounds and beliefs. Through its curriculum, campus life, and off-campus programs, it stimulates students' critical thinking and heightens their moral sensitivity; it encourages them to be seekers of truth, leading lives of unselfish service to others; and it challenges them to be responsible and knowledgeable citizens of the world.

Approved by the St. Olaf faculty in 1987 and the opening paragraph adopted, as a shorter version, by the St. Olaf Board of Regents that same year.