Asian Conversations Program
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will demonstrate:
- appreciation for how integrating language and culture in the study of Asia grounds more advanced work related to Asia.
- basic knowledge of Asia, centering on China, Japan, and including Korea and Vietnam.
- the ability to pursue interdisciplinary approaches to the study of Asia.
- how to write as a way to discover their own "voice,” to clarify ideas, integrate and make coherent the interplay between experience and idea.
- how to practice oral communication techniques for negotiating and conducting interviews in a second language, paying attention to appropriateness and social register; analysis of recorded materials; a high level of competency in oral presentation skills, including the effective integration of technology into presentations.
- how to reflect intentionally upon their experiences and themselves in relation to the culture/country they study by creating a portfolio that demonstrates knowledge, integrative, cultural and reflexive skills.
- not only cultural and linguistic proficiencies, important as they are, but empathy: an ability to understand what it is like to be “them” in their cultural context and what it is like to be “us” in “their” eyes.