Multicultural Affairs and Community Outreach Programs
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students of color will demonstrate:
- academic persistence, with rates of retention and graduation similar to those of other St. Olaf students.
- academic success, with educational gains during their undergraduate experience, and participation in post-graduation employment and graduate education, similar to that of other St. Olaf students.
- academic engagement, with rates of participation in a variety of educational experiences within and beyond the classroom similar to that of other St. Olaf students
- utilization of academic resources, relationships, and services commensurate with their goals and needs.
- co-curricular engagement, with rates of participation in co-curricular activities similar to those of other St. Olaf students.
- leadership development, including participation in leadership activities and cultivation of leadership skills and abilities.
The St. Olaf community will be characterized by:
- cultural awareness - faculty, staff, and students will demonstrate an understanding of the diverse experiences of individual members of the community
- responsive and innovative pedagogy - faculty will design courses and other educational experiences to accommodate diverse learning styles and experiences through distinctive and broadly-utilized pedagogical practices, such as supplemental instruction, summer tutorials, and undergraduate research opportunities.
- engagement and collaboration with MACO - faculty and staff will share resources with MACO and participate in professional development opportunities that enhance their cultural competence.
- investment in the success of students of color - faculty and staff will place high priority on the academic success of students of color and will commit time and energy to fostering that success.
- demographic diversity - the composition of the faculty and staff workforce and the student body will reflect the demographic diversity of the upper Midwest, and will increasingly reflect the diversity of the US as a whole.
- inclusivity and affirmation - students of color will perceive St. Olaf as a welcoming, challenging, and supportive environment to an extent commensurate with the perceptions of St. Olaf students overall.