Music Major with Teaching Credential
Bachelor of Arts Degree
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will demonstrate:
- the ability to hear, identify, and work with musical elements: rhythm, pitch, harmony, structure, timbre, texture.
- the ability to read and realize musical notation fluently.
- the ability to recognize and articulate an understanding of compositional process and musical style with reference to artists, technologies, events, and cultural forces through the major periods of music history.
- the ability to use research tools and analysis independently to develop, defend, and write musical judgments.
- a trajectory of continuing growth in applying basic musicianship skills, independently, to the preparation of expressive performances informed by outcomes 1-3 above.
- knowledge, understanding and skills appropriate for beginning K-12 educators as listed in the St. Olaf Teacher Education Program Intended Learning Outcomes.
- clear understanding of why music is an essential part of a general education, and the ability to advocate for its inclusion and development within education systems.
- competencies in conducting and musical leadership, arranging, functional performance, and pedagogy that support the ability to nurture and motivate an increasingly diverse population of K-12 music students.
- personal dispositions that enhance the ability to lead, inspire, and excite K-12 students' imaginations through the experience and use of music as a transformative, communicating art.