MARCH 1999 Supersedes all previous printings
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY (PHA) (Foundation Studies)
Physical Activity: Two different 1/4 courses or one 1/2 course providing students with participation in structured physical activity and designed to enhance their knowledge of present and long-term physical well-being.
- Courses must provide instruction and practice in a structured physical activity.
- Courses must provide instruction about how the activity contributes to health and fitness.
- Courses must include instruction on how to maintain a physically healthy lifestyle.
1. The two courses may be taken in the same activity provided they are at different levels.
Structured physical activity includes a wide range of options. Each course must satisfy all three guidelines, but the manner and extent to which a course does so will vary according to the particular activity in question.
In the case of motor skills courses, the GEC recommends that in addition to guided practice, students be taught the rules and etiquette of participation, as contributing to their fuller enjoyment of the activity.
Participants in an intercollegiate sport or in a dance company may receive credit for one required 1/4 course.
2. The GEC recommends that all courses give students knowledge with which to assess and enhance their own physical fitness, both in relation to a course's particular activity and in relation to long-term physical well-being.