General Education Task Force
Minutes - April 2, 2004
Present: Solveig Zempel, Mary Cisar, David Booth, Charles Umbanhowar, Gerald Hoekstra.
Absent: Jo Beld, Phyllis Larson
1. Mary reported on the discussion of costs with the Dean's Council.
- There are few course taken solely for GE credit so it is difficult to isolate costs.
- Lynn Steen pointed out that the word 'costs' is itself misleading.
- Since thie GE curriculum was adopted we have restructured the faculty. Perhaps we have an opportunity to reflect this now in oversight of the GE curriculum.
2. Discussion of outcomes:
DB: Determining what the outcomes should be will help us as we focus on the guidelines and ask whether they really lead to the outcomes we desire.
MC: We need to see the connection between GE and the broader campus life of students.
We discussed Mary's statement of General Learning Outcomes based on the college's mission statement.
3. Future meeting times:
- Everyone shold submit sumer schedules so we can plan our summer meeting times.
- Also Mary will look for a possible alternate meeting time even for the remainder of spring semester.
No meeting April 9, Good Friday. Next meeting Friday, April 16.
Secretary Pro Tem