International and Domestic Off-Campus Studies Committee
Minutes of the Wednesday, February 7, 2007 IDOCS meeting at 3:30 p.m. in BC146
Present: Katherine Baker (ex-officio Registrar’s representative), Jeane Delaney (IDOCS Chair), Dona Freeman (IDOCS committee member), Karil Kuchera (IDOCS committee member), Kelin Loe (student representative), Eric Lund (IOS Director), Kris MacPherson (IDOCS committee member), Catherine Redman (student representative), Solveig Zemple (IGS Dean representative).
- Meeting started at 3:30 p.m. The December 13 th, 2006 minutes were approved.
- Report from Eric Lund:
- Re-entry programs for returning students begin this month.
- More applications for field supervisors are coming into the IOS office.
- A summary sheet of the external review conducted last fall has been prepared, and will be presented to the committee later in this meeting.
- The pilot interim program “Theatre in Russia” is approved as a regular interim course.
- Curriculum Committee Document is reviewed.
- Discussion of how the IDOCS sub-committee will be described.
- Question: Which sub-committee will review off-campus general education credits.
- It will be suggested that the name, “International and Off-Campus Domestic Studies Committee” and its acronym be retained for the subcommittee.
- Discussion of possible duplication of efforts among various sub-committees.
- Scrutiny of the potential functions of the IDOCS subcommittee.
- Concerns raised about how students will be involved on sub-committees.
- General Conversation concerning the functions of the advisory committee, sub-committee and “uber” committee.
- Jeane Delaney will work up a brief response to the CCC document, and send it electronically to the IDOCS committee members for comments.
- Eric Lund presented a summary of the IOS external reviewers’ report conducted last fall.
- Discussion of the environmental impact of international study.
- Exchange regarding the merits of the Terra Pass program, and Eco-Footprint calculations.
- Suggestion for including Terra Pass and Eco-Footprint information on the IDOCS webpage.
- Recommendation that individual department web pages include information regarding how international programs best fit into the major, including pre-requisites.
- Art and Art History already include such information on their web page. Other departments seeking to include this information may find reviewing their page helpful.
- Meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.