International and Domestic Off-Campus Studies Committee
Minutes of the Wednesday, February 28, 2007 IDOCS meeting at 3:30 p.m. in BC146
Present: Brian Borovsky, Jeane Delaney (chair), Dona Freeman, Scott Johnson, Kelin Lowe, Eric Lund, Catherine Redman, Nanette Schroeder (attending on behalf of the registrar’s office), Solveig Zempel (ex-officio – Dean’s Representative)
- The meeting was called to order at 3:30 and the minutes of February 14 were approved.
- Report from Eric Lund
- Due date for student applications for semester programs is tomorrow (3/1).
- Chile, Argentina and Botswana programs all have applicants.
- 2. Four or Five faculty mentees will be going out on programs next year.
- Global Citizenship and Language campus theme activities are channeling through the IOS office.
- Jeane Delaney presented a reduced schedule of IDOCS meetings for the spring term.
- The committee will be gathering every other week for the remainder of the year.
- Agenda items remaining from first term:
- BORSC Report
- Questions about the BORSC committee’s data gathering practices have been cleared up.
- Kelin Lowe requested that the discussion of BORSC be shelved for until the next meeting. She will report back about BORSC’s latest meeting at that time.
- First-year students’ participation in off-campus interims
- Nan Schroeder shared the registrar’s office opinion that first-year students should stay on campus during interim.
- First term grades are not in to help assess readiness.
- The first interim is a significant time for student bonding on campus.
- Responses to the CCC draft
- Jeane Delaney reported that she will attend CCC tomorrow (3/1) and solicited feedback to bring to the meeting.
- Wording issues of the document were discussed.
- How can language be more unified and explicit throughout the document, particularly as it relates to IDOCS evolving role?
- Discussion of issues surrounding how IDOCS will be staffed after committee restructuring.
- Will being on the “uber” committee and a subcommittee ask too much of members?
- How will unexpired committee appointments be handled
- Solveig Zempel announced that next Wednesday (3/6) both the Norwegian ambassador to America and the American ambassador to Norway will be on campus. Both are very interested in student exchange between the countries. Committee members are encouraged to meet with them, and spread the word of their visit.
- The meeting was adjourned promptly at 5:00 p.m.