Minutes of the IDOCS committee meeting
September 20, 2006
- Meeting came to order at 3:30 in Buntrock Commons 146.
- Present: Solveig Zempel (IGS Dean), Cate Redman (Student Representative), Karil Kucera (IGS), Dona Freeman (FA), Bruce Hanson (NS/Math), Eric Lund (IOS Director), Jeanne Delaney (Humanities and Chair), Kris MacPherson (Social Science), Katherine Baker (Registrar
- Minutes of September 13, 2006 approved with name correction for Cate Redman.
- Updates from the IOS Director: Eric touched on several topics of interest to the committee:
a) Deadline for Interims abroad is fast approaching - October 6th, 2007. There are still some low enrolled courses - Performing Arts in New York and Theatre in Russia among them. Committee members offered ideas for recruiting. A suggestion was made that there may be a conflict with the on campus shows. Students who are waiting to see if they are being cast in the show on campus may not want to commit to the Interim abroad until they know if they are to be cast.
b) Paul Jackson has been confirmed to lead the Australia program.
c) Term in Asian leader for Fall 2007 - Kris MacPherson has applied for the field superviser position.
d) Re: Outside evaluators visit in October - Eric tested a small focus group from the returning Australia students to see how focus groups will work for getting information. The completed focus groups recap and other reports need to be available by late November for the outside reviewers. Next meeting the committee will discuss format for the focus groups.
- There was a brief discussion of Chuck Huff's course proposal for the Term in the Middle East for 2007 before meeting with him in person. Chuck joined the committee and was very helpful in fleshing out the "4 dimensions of Moral Reasoning" for the committee. Considerable discussion revolved around the use of on-site media sources and the Service Learning component. There was much helpful discussion of Chuck's ambitious goals for the class.
- The committee meeting ended at 5:00 with some agenda items to be postponed until next week:Report on the Curriculum Coordinating Committee's restructuring committees; distribution of the fall program review schedule; outside Reviewers visit.
Katherine Baker 9-21-06