International and Domestic Off Campus Studies Committee
Minutes for IDOCS meeting of October 18, 2006
Members in attendance: Katherine Baker, Maura DeChant, Jeane Delaney [Chair], Dona Freeman, Bruce Hanson, Karil Kucera, Eric Lund, Kris MacPherson, Cate Redman, Solveig Zempel [ex officio – Dean’s Representative]
- The meeting was called to order and the minutes of October 4, 2006, approved, with acclamation for all of Karil’s hard work.
- Updates from Eric Lund and ensuing discussion:
- IOS offices are now in Steensland
- Web pages have been revised after email approval by the committee
- Board of Regents/Student Committee – The student members of this committee presented a report on international studies to the regents. The IDOCS representative from the Student Senate was informed but not permitted to comment or to suggest changes before the Student Senate approved and forwarded the report; Eric was informed of its existence but not given a copy. Cate will ask for a copy of the report and extend an invitation to the student reps to the Student/Regents Committee to join IDOCS to discuss student concerns.
- First year students are asking to be allowed to go on interims beyond the language and Hewitt interims. The committee began to review rationale for not allowing first year students to go abroad; it will be placed on agenda for next week.
- Review of HECUA: Divided States of Europe for pilot status for spring of 2007. Committee discussed merits and possible concerns (e.g. cost, although Norway scholarships will apply). Steve Soderlind will pursue GE credit with the program creator at HECUA. Approved.
- Report on Committee Restructuring Meeting by Jeane Delaney: The committee appreciated the materials provided by IDOCS and were rather perplexed on how IDOCS could be folded into the “uber committee” – probably can’t cut down on committee duties but there is still a need for a single committee to provide oversight for the curriculum as a whole. They did seem to appreciate the need for special expertise on the part of committee members including students.
- The meeting adjourned at 4:55pm.