The St. Olaf College Department of Art and Art History is devoted to safety and environmental awareness in the art making process. Department policies, practices and facilities reflect this priority. This safety manual covers basic policies and safety guidelines as well as specific ones for each studio area. Knowledge of this information is required for students enrolled in a studio arts course in Dittmann Center.
- Art studios in Dittmann Center are available for use only to students currently enrolled in the art class with which it is associated. This limit is for reasons of safety, liability, and budgeting as well as space limitations. There are exceptions to this rule but only after receiving proper training and permission. These exceptions may include St. Olaf art faculty and staff members, current art apprentices, currently enrolled ‘topics’ and ‘senior studies’ students, or other independent study situations. See professor or technical staff for information, training and permission.
- Studios may only be occupied during airflow times, posted on each door.
- Only approved processes and materials/chemicals are allowed – each studio in Dittmann was designed, for the purpose of safety, with specific chemicals and processes in mind. Our studios are limited to those functions.
The airflow schedule for each studio is posted on its door. The studio must not be occupied unless airflow is scheduled to be ON. Airflow indicates not only the air exchange rate necessary for safe use of the space, but also allows dust collection and localized ventilation systems to operate. These hours may not necessarily match building hours. Any changes during breaks will be posted on individual doors.
Dittmann building hours are posted on the art department website. Hours vary during breaks.
The technical staff in the art department works toward making the studios safe and smooth running, as well as advising on technique. See them for questions about department policies, safety, studio logistics, materials and equipment, and technical problem solving.
- Christie Hawkins, Technical Supervisor and Kate Fisher, Technical Assistant, are available by appointment or during posted office hours.
- Christie’s office is 106a, Kate’s is 105b.