REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MAJOR
For students entering September 2009 or before
An Asian Studies major shall consist of ten courses:
1. Asian Studies 121 (Asian Cultures in Comparative Perspectives) or an upper level Asian Studies course approved by the Department Chair.
2. Asian Studies 275 (Interdisciplinary Approaches to Asia, .25 credit)
3. Senior Seminar: Asian Studies 399 (Asian Studies Seminar) or 397 (Human Rights/Asian Context)
4. Four courses in an Asian language (successful completion of Chinese 232, Japanese 232, or equivalent competency)
5. Three elective courses concerning Asia
Students who fulfill the language requirement through proficiency testing must still complete seven courses for the major, including Asian Studies 275 and Asian Studies 397 or 399.