Dance Companies Service Hours
Dance Companies Dancers:
In the dance community we need to help and support each other as we create and present dance. This is true as well for the St. Olaf Dance Community. There are various performances, special events, and workshops held during the year in which we need help and support. Without your help we would not be able to provide all the exciting events in dance. We are requiring these service hours of all members of Companydance and Veselica.
Once you sign up to stage hand or usher a show your service hours will be recorded on an excel spreadsheet by Kyle Carson, Technical Director. If you fulfill service hours by helping out a professor, please complete a service hour ticket which you get from the professor. Return the ticket to Kyle Carson, Technical Director. These hours will then be recorded on the excel spreadsheet. Please note, this spreadsheet displays the entire year. If you have signed up for any future shows, but have not fullfilled your obligation yet, it will incorrectly indicate that you have fullfilled your service hours. Any member who makes an obligation to a show but fails to fulfill that obligation or drops out without finding a replacement before the scheduled deadline will have their chances of being cast in the following year's audition seriously hampered.
SERVICE HOUR REQUIREMENTS
In the Dance Community we need to help and support each other as we create and present dance. This is true as well for the St. Olaf Dance Community. There are various performances, special events, and workshops held during the year in which we need help and support. We need your help! Without your help we would not be able to provide all the exciting events in dance. We are requiring these service hours of all members of the Dance Companies. Any student who makes an obligation to a show and fails to show up or drops out without finding a replacement before the scheduled deadline will have any opportunity during auditions the following year seriously hampered.
You can accomplish your service to the dance department for the next two years by completing one of the following:
1) Help out with a Large Show Production. Large Shows include:
- Senior Dance Concert
- Veselica International Dance Ensemble Concert
- Companydance Spring Concert
- Any other production deemed a “Large Show” by the department
- Board operator
- Sound operator
- Stage Manager
- Stage hand
- Fly operator
- All dance majors will be required to help out with a Large Show Production at least once during their four years.
- Members of the 1st Year Project are strongly encouraged to help out with a Large Show Production their first year. This may include the Companydance Spring Concert, Senior Dance Concert or the Veselica International Dance Ensemble Concert.
- If, for some reason, you are unable to fulfil your service hours obligation once you have signed up for a show or job, you may find a replacement up to 2 weeks prior to the start of the tech process. If you cannot find a replacement before that time you must follow through with your commitment. You cannot be replaced after the deadline.
By helping out with one of these concerts this year you will complete your service to the department for this year and the next. Examples of jobs include:
2) Completing 12 hours of miscellaneous service hour activities. This can be finished in one or over two academic years. Examples for these hours include:
- Assisting a dance faculty member with a miscellaneous task