INFORMATION FOR DANCE MAJORSThe dance department is committed to helping all dance majors recognize their abilities and develop them significantly while at St. Olaf College. The dance department believes that the core of dance education resides in a movement intensive environment. This education also must incorporate analytical, creative, interpersonal, and verbal learning modes to move students toward a more complete physical intelligence. And this intelligence is the foundation of the skilled dance artist.
You are committing yourself to a dance major. This commitment carries with it your intention to explore the large world of dance, to investigate its varied content areas, and then to create your specific focus for more intensive research and exploration. As a dance major you will be developing yourself as a dance artist through the lens of performer, creator, educator, researcher. You may even blend these possibilities to create new options. And the options are numerous.
1. Requirements for The Dance Major Effective Fall 2011 (Pdf)
2. The Dance Major Statement of Focus intends to encourage each dance major to be responsible for their own, individual journey. The annual practice of completing a statement of focus in a thoughtful and intentional manner supports the process of continually creating oneself as a dance artist. Instructions for Completing the Dance Major Statement of Focus Form
- Strategies for Preparing for a Successful Senior Dance Capstone Project
- Senior Dance Capstone Project Guidelines (PDF) or (Webpage)
- Senior Dance Capstone Project Contract
8. Dance and Career (Pdf)