Norwegian House (Norskhuset)
|The Norwegian House (Swanson House) is one of several Honor Houses at St. Olaf College. It is a two-story home with two bedrooms on the first floor and three on the second floor, providing space for five students. This fall, there are five students living in the house, one Norwegian and four Americans.|
|The students living in the Norwegian House have two main goals: 1) to create a Norwegian environment in the house by speaking Norwegian on a regular basis and incorporating Norwegian culture into their daily routine, and 2) to organize a variety of co-curricular activities for St. Olaf students as well as larger public events for the entire Northfield community. The Norwegian House co-sponsors many of its activities with the on-campus Norwegian Club. See the photo galleries below:|
Students in the Norwegian House
The Norwegian Language Assistants for the 2011-2012 academic year are Pål (back left) (fall) and Paul (not pictured) (spring). In addition, there are four American students in the house: Tyler (back center), Evan (back right), Ida (front left), and Siri (front right).
The students in the house organize weekly events such as Norwegian Conversation Table and Homework Help as well as larger events such as the Film Series, the Christmas Chapel, and the 17th of May Breakfast.
Students who would like information about living in the
Norwegian House during 2012-2013 can contact the Faculty Advisor, Rennesa Osterberg Jessup. The application deadline is March 28, 2012.
(Norwegian Language Assistant Application / American Student Application).
|Language Assistant :||Pål Prøitz '13 (fall), Paul Mori '13(spring)|
|Co-President:||Siri Smithback '12|
|Co-President:||Evan Deam '14|
|Resident:||Tyler Klinkner '12|
|Resident:||Ida Zalk '14|
Weekly Norwegian House Events: Spring Semester, 2012
Norwegian Conversation Table, 6-7 pm, Mondays, Black Ballroom,
Norwegian Homework Help, 7-9 pm, Tuesdays, World Language Center, Tomson level 1
Norwegian Homework Help, 7-11 pm, Thursdays, World Language Center, Tomson level 1
Other Norwegian House Events: Spring Semester, 2012
- Monday, Feb. 27, 6:00-7:00pm - Conversation table, cultural night -- Theme: Norwegian oil.
- Wednesday, Feb. 29, 7:00-9:00pm-- Film linked to Monday's culture table - Oljeberget, location TBA Wednesday,
- March 7, 7:00-9:00pm -- Film Trolljegeren (The Troll Hunter), location TBA Monday,
- March 26, 6:00-7:00pm -- Conversation table, cultural night -- Theme: Military service in Norway
- Tuesday, March 27, 7:00-9:00pm -- NORW 112 exam review session with Norwegian waffles, Norwegian House.
- Monday, April 2, 6:00-7:00pm -- Conversation table, cultural night -- Theme: Easter in Norway Wednesday,
- April 4, 7:00-9:00pm -- "Påskekrim" Film Varg Veum, location TBA
- Sunday, April 22, 3:00-5:00pm -- Kubb and s'mores at the Norwegian House
- Monday, April 23, 6:00-7:00pm -- Conversation table, cultural night -- Sports culture in Norway Thursday,
- May 17, 4:00-6:00pm -- Syttende mai celebration, Tomson atrium