Winter Storm Closing Procedure
[Faculty Handbook Category #1]
In the event of a winter snowstorm that exceeds the ability of the St. Olaf College Grounds Department to maintain safe passage on the campus, the following policy shall be in effect.
1. The Grounds Manager shall notify the Director of Facilities and the Provost when snow or storm conditions reach unmanageable levels on the campus.
2. The Provost (or his designee), in consultation with the Director of Facilities and the Grounds Manager, will assess the situation and make a recommendation to the President to hold classes as normal, consider a late start, or close the college.
3. The President (or his designee) shall be the only person to give the order to begin classes late or close the college.
4. If the classes are to begin late or the college will be closed, public notifications will be made on KYMN radio and WCCO TV/radio.
5. Certain employees may be required to work in spite of the weather in order to provide services for the students. Only essential personnel, who are requested to come to work by their supervisors, are to report for work.
6. All non-essential employees will receive pay based on their normally scheduled daily hours. If employees are on a regularly scheduled vacation day when a winter storm closing occurs, the day will be counted as a vacation day.
Reopening the College
When roadway conditions have improved for travel to, from, and on the campus, the President (or his designee), after consultation with the Grounds Manager and the Director of Facilities, will order the reopening of the campus and the resumption of classes. Public notifications will be made on KYMN radio and WCCO TV/radio.