Academic Records and Transcripts
[Faculty Handbook Category #3]
Academic records are maintained by the registrar of the college. Information contained in academic records relates primarily to the academic history of the individual student, e.g., grades, rank in class, grade point average (G.P.A.) and academic status.
A St. Olaf transcript is a copy
of the complete, unabridged academic record, without omissions, of a student
who has been or is currently enrolled at
Official transcripts are issued only upon the written request of the student. Unofficial copies of the student's academic record are available to
· Currently enrolled students upon written request, or via the online Student Information System;
· The faculty adviser for evaluation and counseling;
· The Office of the Dean of Students for student files;
· The departments for their files on majors;
· The college president, vice presidents and college deans for student information;
· Faculty members responsible for selection of candidates for Rhodes, Wilson, Marshall, etc., scholarships;
· The faculty Admissions and Retention Committee for research and study;
· Other school officials, including professors who have been determined by the college to have a legitimate educational interest in obtaining this information;
· Phi Beta Kappa for selection of members;
· Office of Admissions and Office of Educational Research for follow-up studies;
· Individual teachers for recommendation and counseling purposes;
· Office of Financial Aid for the granting and renewing of scholarships and financial aid;
· The athletic department for certification that varsity athletes meet eligibility requirements;
· Educational institutions (high schools and junior colleges) for their self-education study upon request;
· Parents of a dependent student as defined by the Internal Revenue Code; and
· Any other individual entity authorized to obtain this information without a student's prior consent in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Transcripts of Academic Records
Official student transcripts of academic records are available only upon written request of the student. Telephone requests cannot be accepted. Requests must be accompanied by a payment of $5 per copy. Only official copies can be mailed.
Copies of unofficial transcripts and transcript/degree audits are available to currently enrolled students free of charge at the registrar's office or online via the secure Student Information System.
Copies cannot be issued to a second party, including parents or family members without the written permission of the student.
Transcripts will be released only if the student's account is clear of any outstanding accounts in the Business Office.
on obtaining transcripts