Section 4 - Faculty Personnel Policies and Procedures
X. Promotion in Rank
- The purpose of promotion of faculty is to recognize effective teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, and contributions to the College.
- The academic ranks of the College for its faculty shall be as follows:
- Assistant Professor
- Associate Professor
- The College uses the designation "[Faculty Member] in Residence" to identify persons hired on Special Appointments and governed by the provisions on Special Appointments as outlined in Faculty Manual Section 4.VI.C.
- All promotion decisions shall be made according to the Procedures for Granting Tenure and Promotion (Section 4.XI) except those related to promotions from instructor to assistant professor. In the case of non-tenure-track part-time appointments, any adjustment in rank beyond that of assistant professor must go through the normal procedures for promotion.
- The following requirements are necessary conditions for promotion in rank:
- All candidates must have demonstrated that they meet high standards of professional competence in their disciplines and that they possess the ability and interest to ensure continued growth.
- Except under unusual circumstances, all candidates must have attained a terminal degree in their disciplines or equivalent professional distinction.
- In granting promotion in rank, the College shall make an effort to keep a reasonable balance between the upper and lower ranks of the faculty.
- Decisions concerning promotion in rank shall be based on the Standards for Faculty Evaluation, subject to the following considerations:
- The criteria shall be applied more rigorously in all categories of evaluation as the rank goes higher.
- While six to nine years at a given rank may be regarded as normal, no minimum period is required before consideration for promotion; evidence of excellence in teaching and professional development is grounds for acceleration.
- Longevity by itself is no qualification.
- Any previous experience shall be considered insofar as it contributes to effectiveness in the specified criteria.
- The number of persons of higher rank within each department shall be considered in relation to faculty staff planning.