Section 4 - Faculty Personnel Policies and Procedures
The major purpose of the salary policy shall be to compensate the faculty in an equitable manner. Salaries are normally based on service during the academic year, but are usually paid over twelve months. Benefits provided to faculty as employees of the College are described in the Faculty Handbook.
The procedure for establishing the annual salary distribution formula and individual salaries is as follows:
- The Review and Planning Committee and its finance subcommittee shall prepare an initial salary line recommendation and present it to the President on or before November 15th.
- The President and the Dean of the College shall review the proposal and present it to the Board of Regents at its December meeting.
- The Review and Planning Committee shall develop a salary distribution formula and forward this recommendation to the President and the Dean of the College on or before February 15th.
- By March 1st, the Dean of the College shall forward the approved salary distribution formula for the next year to all department chairs and Associate Deans, plus a schedule indicating the maximum, median, and minimum salaries paid throughout the faculty in each rank for the current academic year. All of the above information is available to all faculty members from their department chairs. The Dean of the College shall also inform chairs what salaries are currently paid to each member of their own departments.
- It shall be the responsibility of the chair to make salary recommendations for each member of the department. This shall be based on an evaluation of the quality of each individual's activity under the Standards for Faculty Evaluations in Section 4.VII and the statements on Significant Professional Activities that have been approved by the Board of Regents or its designee.
It is important that every faculty member be periodically reviewed and have the assurance that such a review will be carefully carried out. Evidence shall be gathered from students, peers and the faculty member being evaluated. Because no single procedure will work for all disciplines, the College reserves the right to make salary determinations based upon a variety of factors. It shall be the responsibility of each department and program to draw up comprehensive procedures and a schedule that will meet its own requirements and those of the college as a whole. These procedures shall be submitted to the Review and Planning Committee for evaluation. RPC will forward recommended procedures to the President for approval.
The chair will discuss his or her salary recommendation with each faculty member, making clear the basis for the recommendation, and stressing that the recommendation is subject to modification by the Associate Dean and the Dean of the College.
- The department chair shall complete faculty salary recommendation forms prior to the scheduled meeting with the Associate Dean which should occur before April 1st.
- The Associate Dean and the Dean of the College shall review these recommendations.
- After the Dean of the College has met with all Associate Deans and the President, the Dean of the College shall submit his or her tentative salary recommendations to department chairs and Associate Deans.
- The Dean of the College shall then make recommendations for salaries and forward them to the President, not later than April 15th. When these recommendations differ from those of either the department chair or the Associate Dean, the recommendations of the department chair and Associate Dean shall be included.
- Not later than May 1st, the President shall set the salaries of faculty members and inform them in writing of their salaries.
- The Dean of the College shall notify department chairs and Associate Deans of the salaries in their respective departments on or before May 15th .