Romance Languages - French - Tenure Track - 2014-15
The Department of Romance Languages at St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota announces a full-time, tenure-track position in French at the level of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor. The position offers to a candidate committed to undergraduate liberal arts education the opportunity to teach in a unique content-based curriculum enhanced by a January term abroad, a language across the curriculum program, and area and interdisciplinary studies. Teaching responsibilities include all levels of French language and major-level courses in the literatures and cultures of the French-speaking world. Specialization open, but demonstrated expertise in contemporary French and Francophone studies preferred. Interdisciplinary approaches such as film studies, cultural studies, and linguistic studies would be an asset. Required: Demonstrated excellence in undergraduate teaching, native or near-native language ability, and sustained residential experience in one or more French-speaking countries. The person hired is expected to pursue high quality scholarly activity. In addition, the person hired is expected to contribute actively to the life of the French section, the department and the college. Completed Ph.D. by August 15, 2014 strongly preferred. Rank dependent upon qualifications. Associate Professor to be considered for tenure after a shortened probationary period.
Applicants must submit application materials online at https://jobs.stolaf.edu.
A complete application includes:
(1) a cover letter that addresses specifically the nature of the position,
(2) a current curriculum vitae,
(3) a short statement (1-2 pages) describing your teaching philosophy and research interests,
(4) unofficial graduate transcripts,
(5) names and email addresses for three professional references who can speak to your abilities in classroom teaching and scholarship (at this time, we are only asking for the names and email addresses of three references; if you are later selected to move forward in the search process, we will email the references directly to request their letters),
(6) audio samples of impromptu French and English, each 2 minutes in length (please upload as a URL; for assistance with creating and posting audio files, please click here)
***When you copy and paste the URL link, please remove the first part that precedes the "www" portion (i.e., "http://", "https://", or "ftp://") to ensure that the link will be uploaded successfully to your application.
Questions should be directed to:
Prof. Jolene Barjasteh, Chair of French Search Committee
Department of Romance Languages
St. Olaf College
1520 St.Olaf Avenue
Northfield, MN 55057-1098
(507) 786-3274; email@example.com
Review of completed applications will begin on October 12, 2013 and continue until the position is filled. Interviews of semi-finalists will be held at the annual MLA Convention in Chicago, IL, January 9-12, 2014. On-campus interviews of finalists will be scheduled beginning the week of February 10, 2014.
A liberal arts college affiliated with the Lutheran Church (ELCA), St. Olaf College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity in its students, faculty and staff. The college is especially interested in candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our community through their work and service.
To provide a safe and secure educational environment, St. Olaf College verifies the accuracy of all credentials presented by applicants and conducts a criminal background check on every new hire.