College Driving Information
St. Olaf College’s insurance provider, Educational and Institutional Insurance Administrators, Inc. (EIIA) requires that all St. Olaf employees and students pass the campus driving program prior to driving campus owned or leased vehicles. In order to remain current, the class must be repeated every 2 years.
In order to qualify as a St. Olaf College driver
- you must be 20+ years old,
- a member of the St. Olaf College Community,
- you must not have any serious traffic violations,
- and you must complete the St. Olaf College required Safe Driver Course.
Once you have been cleared to drive (allow up to 48 hours after completing the class for clearance), your name will be added to the list of authorized campus drivers for up to a period of two years.
St. Olaf College along with our insurance provider, EIIA have selected AlertDriving’s web-based driver safety training program for our online driving program. This course is designed to help keep you safe behind the wheel. Should you decide to continue driving campus owned or leased vehicles at the end of the two years, and every two years following, you must either renew using the on-line renewal system or attend the on-campus driver safety course again. If you have any questions, please contact Jody Greenslade in the Treasurer's Office (x3016) or David Leake in the office of Environmental Health and Safety (x3592).
College fleet vans may be reserved through the Buntrock Commons Office (x3017) for College purposes. Remember that you must be on the current "approved" driver list in order to reserve a college owned or leased vehicle. Long distance travelers should arrange car rental through on-line booking or by calling our preferred rental car vendor, Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Their local address is 150 Water Street S, Northfield, and their phone number is (507) 664-9944.
Please keep in mind
- The College recommends that travelers use economy or compact models when rental cars are necessary. Do not accept the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Personal Accident insurance (PAI), since the College provides adequate insurance. The College will NOT reimburse additional insurance coverage. Contact the Treasurer's Office (x3016) to obtain a proof of insurance card prior to travel.
- Before leaving the rental lot, the traveler should inspect the vehicle for pre-existing damage to avoid unwarranted additional charges when the vehicle is returned.
- Return the rental car to the agency (same location) with a full tank of gas to avoid additional charges.
- Attach a copy of the rental agreement as well as the receipt to your Travel Expense Report.
- The Treasurer's Office (x3016) should be contacted upon return should an accident occur while driving a rental car.
If you have any questions, please contact Jody Greenslade in the Treasurer's Office (x3016) or David Leake in the office of Environmental Health and Safety (x3592).
Instructions for completing the Alert Driving Course Online [You must have already taken the on-campus class within 2 years in order to take the on-line class. If you're driving certification has lapsed, you must take the on-campus class again in order to be re-certified. Contact Jody Greenslade in the Treasurer's Office (x3016) for more information]:
- Complete all the information below and email it to the St. Olaf College Administrator (Jody Greenslade (x3016) email@example.com) [if you don't trust email - you may print it and bring it to Tomson Hall Rm 130].
- You will receive an email from AlertDriving.com that contains the information, log-in, and password you need to begin the online course.
- Once you have completed the course, AlertDriving.com will send an email confirmation to you and to me as to whether or not you have completed the course successfully. This is not the only requirement.
- The Administrator will check your driver's license record to make sure there are no serious traffic violations. (California and Washington residents must supply their own DMV record.)
- Once the course has been completed successfully and your driving record has passed, the Administrator will send you an email confirming that all requirements have been met, and will submit your name to the list of authorized campus drivers, at which time you may begin driving campus vehicles.
Please note: You will only have one opportunity to complete the online course successfully. Should you fail the course you will be required to attend the on-campus driver safety class.
Driver's License Number:
State of License:
If Driver's License is from outside of Minnesota:
Date of Birth:
Social Security #:
Large Passenger Vans: yes( ) no ( )