Alice M. Hanson, Professor of Music
St. Olaf College
Department of Music
1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057
236 Christiansen Hall of Music
Courses Offered for Academic Year 1997-98:
- Music 241 - Historical Studies I (c800-1750)
- Music 343 - Classical/Romantic Music
- Music 242 - Historical Studies II (1750-present)
- Music 237 - Ethnic Music
Courses I Have Taught:
- Music Period Courses: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary
- Genre Courses: Opera, Operetta, American Music, Symphony, The Lied
- Composer Courses: Bach and Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner
- Seminars: Analysis of Large Forms, Research Methods
- Interdisciplinary: Humanities (18th, 19th and 20th centuries),
Arts of Japan and USSR
Music and Culture of Vienna (18th-20 cent.), Opera and Operetta, Music and Musicians of Minnesota (native, folk, art and popular), American popular music
I am from Crystal (a suburb of Mpls), Minnesota. I graduated from Wells College, Aurora, N.Y., in 1971 with a BA in Music; received an MM and PhD in Musicology from the University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana) with specialities in 19th century and Renais
sance; attended the University of Vienna on a Fulbright grant in 1975-76 while conducting research for my
dissertation "The Cultural Context of Music in Vienna 1815-1830." From 1977-82 I taught at the Shepherd School of Music at Rice University, Houston, Tex., and then 1982-present at St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minn.
- Musical Life in Biedermeier Vienna. Cambridge Univ. Press, l985 (in German
and Japan. trans.).
- "Musical Life in Schubert's Vienna," in Schubert in His
Own Time. April 1995.
- "George Szell," in Oxford Biographical Dictionary 1994.
- Other articles and book reviews on Schubert, Johann Strauss and related
- Dale Warland Singers (St. Paul) 1985-87
- Houston Symphony Orchestra 1979-81
- Many St. Olaf ensembles and special concerts