Measure and Integration
Fall 2015- The Humke Version
Suggestions for Success
- Humke can help! (use the Hotline, Office Hours, Whatever it takes !!!)
- A good work schedule for 344 is to begin after Thursday's class with a short session with your study group. The goal is to understand what the problems are asking. During the next couple of days and on your own work hard on one or two. Then on the weekend (maybe Sunday afternoon) regather with your group to complete work on as many of the problems as you can; don't expect to get them all!
- Work on this course every day. Sometimes it may seem that
your ``work'' on the problems doesn't produce any tangible results, just questions and frustration. Seek
help from the prof. -- Hey, that's ME ! BUT. there is other work to do besides the problems. On the quizes and exams you will be asked to state the definitions AND to prove some theorems. These need practice.
- Rewrite the homework problems that you couldn't solve on your own, but that someone else presented. This will help you understand the main ideas needed.
- Quiz yourself on the definitions and theorem statements regularly. A stack of Flash cards can be very effective.
- Don't fall in the trap of copying down every single word of a
proof presented in class. Pay attention to the ideas and make sure that you are
following the logic of the proof. You can then reconstruct
the proof for your notes later that same day. Most proofs are carefully
presented in the text, anyway and I'll tell you when I take a different approach.
- Humke can help! (and he gets PAID to do it -- what a job!!!)