Letters of Recommendation
If I have agreed to write a recommendation for you, please send me
electronically or give me a folder containing:
Furthermore, at least two weeks before the first letter is due,
e-mail me (wallace "at" stolaf.edu) your answers to the following
questions (the more details the better):
- a completed and signed form Student
Request for Reference or Recommendation form,
authorizing me to share information about you.
- a copy of your transcript or unofficial grade audit;
- a copy of your personal statement (if applicable);
- all other necessary forms.
Please send me e-mail reminders as deadlines approach, and feel
free to chat with me about other ways you can make the letter writing
process go as smoothly as possible for you and your letter writers.
- What is your name, year, and major(s)?
- For what are you applying? (mathematics teaching positions, job,
scholarship, graduate school, etc. Be as specific as possible.)
- List the programs to which you are applying, together with
addresses, names and titles of people I should send to, and due dates.
- How long have I known you, and what is my relationship(s) to
you? (instructor, advisor, etc.) Have you graded or tutored for me? If
so, for what class(es) and when?
- For what class(es) have I taught you, what final grade(s) did
you earn, and how did you distinguish yourself in these class(es)?
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are some of your academic accomplishments?
- What are some of your nonacademic accomplishments?
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
- What makes you particularly qualified for this
- What are your long term goals and will this position/honor/award
help? If so, how?
- Additional comments (REU's, summer research, interesting jobs,
hobbies, etc.) Inculde information about your student teaching
experience if you have not covered it above.
Martha Wallace, Bjork Distinguished Professor
Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
St. Olaf College
With thanks to Michael Orrison, Harvey