CAREER NETWORK FOR OLES
Attention Juniors and Seniors: Class Years 2014 and 2013
Do you have questions about careers?
Do you need assistance in locating internships that will help you gain experience?
Do you need advice about your job search?
Connect with Ole alumni and parents via the Career Network for Oles program! Last year, 1,136 alumni and parents and 383 students participated in the program. 90% of students responding to our follow-up survey indicated at least one interaction with an alum or parent. 51% of students reported interactions with four or more alumni. 40% of students received information about specific information about jobs or internships. The program is a great and simple way to gain valuable information and insight into careers that interest you!
Here is what you need to do:
- All of the information sessions have now passed. Here is a link to the presentation for those who attended the sessions and plan to participate in the program. All participants who attended the January information sessions must stop by the Piper Center to have their profile edited (before the January 14th deadline) at one the following times:
Thursday, 1/10: 2:30-5:00 p.m. (see Thando)
Friday, 1/11: 8:30-5:00 p.m. (see Kirsten) or 1:00-3:00 p.m. (see Thando)
Monday, 1/14: 8:30-10:30 a.m. (see Thando) & 1:30-4:00 p.m. (see Mandy) or 8:30-5 p.m. (see Kirsten)
2. Create a profile:
After attending a session, you will receive login information to submit your profile to the “Career Network for Oles” database. Your profile includes your name, contact information, class year, major(s), concentration(s) and a 500 character description of your skills, experiences, and specific career interests. Your request could include: advice about breaking into a specific career field, research opportunities, ideas for a worthwhile ‘gap year’ experience, summer internships, contacts in a designated geographical area, or employment opportunities. Click here for sample student profiles.
3. Select the category or career area that best fits your request:
You may choose more than one category, but it is in your best interest to be selective and targeted so that you are matched with the alumni best suited to address your questions. If you’re not sure what category best fits your desired career, take a look at this detailed occupation list.
Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
Gap Year / Post-Graduate Service
Graduate and Professional School
Healthcare and Medicine
Non-Profit and Human Services
STUDENT PROFILES MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MONDAY, JANUARY 14.
Here is what will happen next:
- Edit your profile to maximize your chances of making successful connections. Once you have crafted your profile, stop into the Piper Center (Tomson 270) to have your profile edited. The Career Network for Oles walk-in hours are: Mondays - 1:30-3:30 p.m., Tuesdays & Wednesdays - 12:30-3:00 p.m., Fridays - 10:00-12:00 p.m. or by appointment.
- Matches are made. Each week, between January 16 – February 27, alumni/parent volunteers are sent five profiles matching their career area(s).
- Connections happen. The alumni/ parent volunteers read your profile and get in touch if they have advice, contacts, or opportunities to offer.
- Once you hear back: Promptly respond (within 24 hours) to each email you receive regardless of whether or not the response was what you were looking for. Keep in mind the importance of following up with those who take time to try to help you—this is a great first step in managing professional relationships and representing yourself (and the college) in a positive light. Please see sample responses.
Questions about the program? Need help revising your profile?
Email email@example.com with your questions or stop in the Piper Center to speak with the Peer Advisor program ambassador.