ASSESSING & EXPLORING MAJORS
Choosing a major may seem easy for some people and yet the hardest decision in the world for others. Everybody goes about the process differently and makes the choices they make for very different reasons. It's important to remember that it's okay to not know what to major in--to explore and take your time to find out where your interests really lie before jumping into something you're not sure of. Many college students change their majors at least once during their college years!
Where Are You in the Process of Choosing a Major?
Click on one of the statements below that best fits you to find potential resources or answers to your question or, look at the bottom of this page to find quick links for information you need.
- I don't even know what I'm interested in.
- I don't even know what majors and concentrations St. Olaf offers.
- I have some majors in mind, but I need to know more about them.
- I have some majors in mind, but I want to know what else is out there that's related.
- I have some majors in mind, but I need to know what I can do with them.
- I'm interested in everything (or lots of things). How do I decide? Should I triple major?
- I know which type of job I want, but not which major will get me there...
- I feel unsatisfied with my choice of major. What next?
- St. Olaf doesn't offer exactly what I want in a major. What can I do?
- I've decided on a major! What can I do next?
List of Majors
Descriptions of Departments and Majors
Majors Connected with Careers
- Online Alumni Directory-Search database by major to see what alums are doing
- What Can I Do With This Major? . . ." (University of Tennessee)
- What can I do with a major in . . ." (Univeristy of North Carolina at Wilmington)
Descriptions of Careers
- Vault - Online Career Library- download career guides, research companies, search industries & professions and view "a day in the life of stories"
- O*NET - provides comprehensive occupational descriptions and data
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - search hundreds of different types of jobs and learn the training and education needed, earnings, expected job prospects, what workers do on the job and working conditions
- Iseek - Minnesota's career, education and job resource
- Spotlight on Careers - a Liberal Arts Career NetWORK (LACN) sponsored site for career advice For off-campus use: Name = lacn, Password = 20Lacn13
- Career Stories - job descriptions and advice from hundreds of people working in real jobs