What is AmeriCorps*State/National?
AmeriCorps*State/National provides funds to local (operating in one state only) and national (operating in at least two states) organizations and agencies committed to using national service to address critical community needs. In turn, each of these organizations and agencies uses their AmeriCorps funding to recruit, place, and supervise AmeriCorps members. *State/National members commit to serve 1700 hours over a period of 10-12 months in a direct service role. At least 80% of a member’s time is spent providing service and the remaining 20% may be spent in professional and personal development. *State/National programs operate within a cohort model, also known as a “Corps”. While each individual has their own site placement, the cohort model brings all Corps member together within a given program for training and development a couple of times a month.
Who is *State/National for?
If you are…
- Looking to put your idealism into practice
- Interested in earning money to pay for college or to pay off student loans
- Eager to gain new skills – or to apply the ones you already have
- Interested in serving within a cohort model
- Interested in helping others and making a difference in your community
- Interested in developing a holistic servant lifestyle
What are some examples of the work that *State/National members do?
- Provide tutoring and mentoring to students during and after school
- Provide placement services to remove barriers to employment for ex-offenders and immigrants
- Provide youth development activities through environmental conservation projects
- Build and repair homes in partnership with community volunteers and low-income families
- Provide education and promotion of “green living” strategies
How much do I get paid? What are the benefits?
During your service, you’ll also receive a modest living allowance (currently $11,800/year pre-tax, distributed bi-weekly), health care benefits, student loan forbearance or deferment. In some states, you also can qualify for an EBT card (food stamps). Upon completing your service, you will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,350.
How do I search for positions?
*State/National programs are generally consistent from year to year so it is relatively easy to find positions. There are three main ways you can search:
- For *State programs: Every state has a Governor-appointed Commission on National Service that administers the AmeriCorps funding to individual programs. Each State Service Commission operates a website with updated AmeriCorps State program information. Please click here for a list of all the state websites.
- For *National programs: Since these programs cross state boundaries, you will not find them on a given State Service Commission website. While there is currently not a comprehensive national website that lists all of the AmeriCorps*National programs, we have compiled a growing list of programs that you should be aware. Please click here for the list.
- For *State/National programs: Search for State/National on the official AmeriCorps website under the “Advanced Opportunity Search” for relevant positions.
How do I apply for positions?
- Contact the AmeriCorps program directly to find out if they have their own application process.
- If not, then register and complete an application at http://my.americorps.gov and then apply electronically through the search listings for the positions.
Some information has been repurposed from the AmeriCorps State/National website.