Internship Funding for Summer 2013
The Piper Center is pleased to offer funding for students pursuing unpaid or underpaid internships during the summer. Funding is made possible through the Boldt Fund for Career Enhancement, the Johnson Family, and the Harry C. Piper Fund.
Deadline for Internship Funding: April 19th at 11:59pm
To view the application and apply, login to Ole Career Central (www.stolaf.edu/olecareercentral)
Navigate: Jobs & Internships Tab St. Olaf Posted Opportunities Position Type Funding Applications.
- Any student enrolled at St. Olaf at the time of application (NOTE: graduating seniors are not eligible to apply for summer internship funding)
- Applicants must be in good academic standing and have maintained professional conduct as a student*
- Internship must include a minimum of 120 hours total spanning a minimum of 8 weeks during summer**
- Students who choose to register for academic internship credit must follow guidelines for Domestic Academic Internships or International Academic Internships
*Good academic standing means a minimum GPA of 2.0, not on academic probation or academically dismissed according to the Registrar's Office. Professional conduct is vetted by the Dean of Students Office. **If your internship does not meet these requirements, please contact Sandy Malecha in the Piper Center at email@example.com
*Good academic standing means a minimum GPA of 2.0, not on academic probation or academically dismissed according to the Registrar's Office. Professional conduct is vetted by the Dean of Students Office.
**If your internship does not meet these requirements, please contact Sandy Malecha in the Piper Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of Agreement
All funding recipients must complete the following:
- Participate in a professional development prep session prior to leaving campus
- Participate in a reflection session upon their return to campus
- Complete a post-internship survey
- Complete a minimum of 120 hours total spanning 8 weeks during summer
- The maximum award is $2000
- Once funding has been disbursed, recipients who do not complete the internship as described in their application form will be required to pay back the full award amount.
Recipients will be awarded funding in the form of a check issued through St. Olaf’s Accounts Payable Office.
- Application Information
- Name of Faculty Reference
- Written Statement
- Estimated Itemized Budget – including funds obtained elsewhere being applied to the experience, or in-kind contributions (commuter passes, housing, food, etc.)
- Letter should be addressed to the student intern and must include the site supervisor's name and title, a description of the internship role/responsibilities, confirmation of time commitment including start and end dates, and explanation of support offered by the site supervisor/employer (e.g. work space, performance feedback, pay, etc.)
- Letter must appear on employer's letterhead or may be sent directly from site supervisor's work email address to the student intern, who will include the letter of support with the rest of her/his application materials
- Save your completed application form, resume, unofficial transcript, and letter from site supervisor to a common location.
- To save the transcript, log into the SIS system, choose courses & grades (on the left), then select Grades (on the right) and select "All Courses & Grades - Unofficial Transcript) and then "print" the file as a .pdf.
- Log into Ole Career Central. Click on the Documents tab across the top of the screen. Upload each of your documents (note: upload the application as a writing sample and the letter from site supervisor as other documents).
- Hover over Jobs & Internships tab across top, select St. Olaf Posted Opportunities. Under Position Type, select Funding Applications.
- Click on “Apply” and select your resume, application, unofficial transcript, and letter from site. Then click Submit. If you have successfully applied, you will see “You have submitted an application for this position” written just under Application Status on the top right.
Assistance uploading documents available at the Piper Center in Tomson 270.
The selection committee will use the following criteria:
- Well-written application materials submitted on time
- Good academic standing
- Information obtained from faculty reference and Dean of Students office will inform final selections
- Priority will be given to students who have not yet received internship funding through the Piper Center. Students may receive internship funding through the Piper Center for no more than two internship experiences during their time at St. Olaf.
The Piper Center is available to assist you with the process of finding and selecting an internship or with other aspects of the application process. If you are seeking possible internship opportunities, please come by the Piper Center and work with a Peer Advisor to learn strategies for your search. You may also login to Ole Career Central to schedule an appointment with a coach.