Applications Accepted: April 2nd – April 17th, 2012
Shadow Experience: ONE DAY (negotiated between host & mentee) during the month of June, 2012
The “ShadOle” job shadowing program at St. Olaf College is designed to encourage experiential learning opportunities for students as they work toward discerning their vocation. This program allows students to spend a day with an alumnus/a in his or her place of employment. Students apply to shadow up to three alumni sponsors in the Twin Cities area. Each alumnus/a selects the applicant(s) they would like to host during the month of June, 2012.
To view a list of alumni hosts, click here. To apply, students submit a resume reviewed by the Center for Experiential Learning and a maximum 250 word statement on how the shadow opportunity will assist in charting their career path.
Alumni from organizations such as MN Pollution Control Agency, Mayo Clinic, Microsoft, Luther Seminary,
Walk Art Center, Best Buy and U of MN Sustainable Development Partnerships hosted Oles last year.
Eligibility Requirements: __________________________
In order to participate in the ShadOle program, you must:
- Be a student currently enrolled with St. Olaf College
- Be available during the month of June (June 1st – 30th, 2012) to spend one day with your Ole alumnus/a host and be willing and able to work with the Ole’s schedule to find a mutually convenient day for your shadow experience.
- Coordinate and fund travel arrangements to your Ole’s place of employment on your own (travel funds for ShadOle are NOT available through the Piper Center)
- Attend one of two mandatory pre-experience preparatory sessions on: May 2nd, 4-5 pm in Tomson 210 or May 3rd, 11:30-12:30 pm in Tomson 212.
Application Instructions: __________________________
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH OleRecruiting
Upload your documents
1.) Save a copy of your resume to a common location.
2.) Save a copy of your (maximum 250) Word Essay (to a common location) describing your interest in the specific shadow opportunity and how you feel that shadow experience will assist in your career path. If you are applying for multiple shadow experiences, be sure to use unique statements and name them accordingly.
3.) Login to Ole Career Central - login via the directions on the screen.
4.) Click on "Documents" on the black bar, click on "Add New" - name your resume "ShadOle" and upload it as a "Resume". Upload your "Word Statement" as an "Other Document" titled "ShadOle Statement/Job Title".
Apply for up to 3 shadowing sites
5.) Click on "Job and Internships" - "St. Olaf Posted Opportunities" on the black bar.
6.) Underneath "Postion Type", select "Job Shadow (ShadOle Program)", click "Search"
7.) Employers will write a brief paragraph on their job duties. Minimize results by searching for a specific employer, location or industry. When you have decided who you want to shadow, click on the "Apply" button within the company you choose.
8.) Be sure to select your "resume" & "word statement", then click Submit!
ShadOle hosts will receive all student applications on April 13th. Selected students will receive e-mail notification on April 26th. Acceptance e-mails will include the name and contact information for your match. Students must contact their Ole between May 2nd – 6th to schedule a mutually convenient day for the shadow experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 17TH, 2012
Participation Requirements: __________________________
If selected to participate in the ShadOle program, students must sign a contract, and commit to the following:
- Contact your Ole during the specified period of time before your shadow day (May 2nd–9th - after completion of required preparatory session)
- Schedule your shadow day for a mutually convenient day during the month of June (June 1st – 30th, 2012)
- Show up on time, prepared, and appropriately dressed for your shadow experience
- Complete a learning goals evaluation upon completion of your shadow experience
- Send a thank you note to your Ole upon completion of your shadow experience
Failure on the part of a student to meet contract obligations or complete their shadow experience reflects poorly on St. Olaf College and may cause Oles to withdraw from participating in the program in the future. ShadOle sponsors put a great deal of thought and effort into planning a useful day for their shadows. For these reasons, we have implemented the following consequences for failing to follow through on contract commitments:
- Student will write a letter of apology to their Ole and also send a copy to the Piper Center
- Student will not be allowed to participate in the ShadOle program in future years
Questions? Contact Janine Knutson in the Piper Center at 507-786-3268 or email@example.com