TIPS FOR USING THE ALUMNI ONLINE DIRECTORY
Alumni are an invaluable resource for gathering information on a specific field or occupation, a particular organization, how best to approach the job/internship search, or on a specific geographical location. Keep the following in mind as you use the directory:
- Alumni may not be in a position to offer an internship, summer job or full-time employment, but can often offer valuable advice or assistance in how to go about securing these opportunities. Doing your research and using the right approach will ensure you make an excellent first impression on alums who could very well remain important members of your professional network in the future!
- Whether you are researching career opportunities or seeking a job or internship, it is best to pursue the information you need in the context of an informational interview.
- Prior to contacting an alumnus/a, use the resources on Assessing & Exploring Careers to learn about their organization, industry or role.
- When connecting with alums, keep the general principles of professional networking in mind.
- The Piper Center staff members are available to help as you prepare to reach out to alumni. Call x3268 to schedule an appointment. Bring draft(s) of initial emails you plan to send, as well as an updated copy of your resume and any questions.
Using The Alumni Online Directory
- Link to the directory »
- Search by entering a combination of two or more variables to get a more refined list of alumni.
- If searching by place of employment, educational institution or degree earned, you may need to enter variations of the name you are entering as the search variable.
- Each search will pull a random sample of alumni fitting the search criteria entered and will produce a maximum listing of 50 alumni. If you are interested in contacting specific alumni listed, click on their name to get contact information. If you do not have time to gather the contact information on alumni listed, jot down the names of those you’d like to look at more carefully in the future. That way you can locate the specific alum the next time you use the directory by entering first and last name as the search criteria as the next sampling of 50 produced may be different than the first.
NOTE: Be sure to clear the form before beginning a new search.