Experiential Learning Opportunities in the Biomedical Sciences
Experiential learning opportunities are key when investigating careers in the biomedical sciences, whether through internships, job shadowing, or informational interviews. Below are some general internship search resources and tips and a list of locations where St. Olaf students have completed biomedical experiential learning activities since 2000.
Categories of organizations include:
- 44th Street Dental – Private dental practice in Edina.
- Division Street Dentists – Private dental practice in Northfield.
- Excelsior Dental Associates – Private dental practice.
- Family Dentistry – Cosmetic dentistry clinic in Apple Valley.
- Kasson Dental Clinic – Private dental practice in Kasson.
- Lake Minnetonka Orthodontics – Private orthodontic practice in Minnetonka.
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgical Consultants – Four locations across the southern and western metro.
- Professional Drive Dental Group – Private dental clinic in Northfield.
- Swanson Family Dentistry – Private dental clinic in Minnetonka.
- Valley Dental Group – Private dental clinic in Golden Valley.
- Adventist Health International – Organization devoted to health care in developing countries.
- Asha-India – Community health and development organization in Dehli.
- Child Family Health International – Service learning for medical, pre-medical, and nursing students.
- Children’s Heartlink – Medical nonprofit with programs to prevent, treat and cure heart disease among needy children in developing countries.
- Gimbie Adventist Hospital – Organization that works on maternity issues in western Ethiopia.
- HELPS International – Medical/surgical service trips to Guatemala.
- Interfaith Service to Latin America – Medical projects in Jalapa, Nicaragua.
- International Service Learning – Medical service trips to Mexico, South America, and Africa.
- Allina Hospitals & Clinics - Includes Abbott Northwestern, St. Francis Regional, and more.
- Axis Healthcare – Minneapolis-based disability care coordination organization.
- CentraCare Health System - Includes hospital in St. Cloud and clinics in surrounding rural
- Children’s Hospitals & Clinics – Six clinics in Twin Cities and surrounding area.
- Cole Dermatology – Private dermatology clinic in Northfield.
- Fairview Health Services – Includes Fairview Southdale in Edina, the U of MN hospital system,
eight other hospitals, and a host of clinics.
- Family Medical Center – Clinics in Little Falls and Pierz.
- Family Practice Medical Center – Clinic in Willmar.
- HealthFinders Collaborative - Free clinic located near Northfield.
- Hennepin County Medical Center – Large hospital in downtown Minneapolis, with several satellite clinics around Hennepin County.
- Indian Health Services – Health center for Native Americans in Bemidji.
- Lake Region Healthcare – Hospital in Fergus Falls.
- Lakeview Clinic – Four clinics in the outer western suburbs of Minneapolis.
- Mayo Clinic – One of the most famous hospital systems in the world.
- Minneapolis Heart Institute – part of Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- Monticello Clinic – Affiliated with clinics in Buffalo and Albertville-St. Michael.
- North Memorial Medical Center – Level I trauma center in Robbinsdale.
- Northfield Hospital – Located across from the St. Olaf campus.
- Park Nicollet Health Services – Hospitals and clinics across the metro area, including Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park.
- Orthopedic & Fracture Clinic - Three locations in southern MN.
- Redwood Area Hospital – Hospital in Redwood Falls.
- Regions Hospital – Private hospital in St. Paul.
- Rice Memorial Hospital – Regional referral hospital in Willmar.
- River Valley Vision Center – Optometry clinics in Northfield and Lonsdale.
- SDMC Health System – Includes St. Mary’s Medical Center and clinics in Duluth.
- Shriners Hospitals for Children – Pediatric hospital in Minneapolis.
- St. Joseph’s Hospital – Hospital in St. Paul.
- St. Luke’s Hospital – Hospital and clinics in Duluth and surrounding area.
- Suburban Imaging – Radiological consultants around the Twin Cities.
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center – Clinics for veterans; locations around MN.
NOTE: Students interested in gaining exposure in a healthcare setting are also encouraged to explore these established programs and resources:
- Cima Labs, Inc. – Analytical chemistry lab devoted to pharmaceuticals.
- Institute of Child Development – Child development/psychology research at the U of MN.
- LKT Laboratories, Inc. – Organic chemistry and cancer research.
- Mayo Foundation – Department of the Mayo Clinic devoted to education and research.
- MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension – Forensic science labs in St. Paul and Bemidji.
- MN Department of Health – Offices located throughout MN.
- National Institute of Environmental Health Science – Division of the Department of Health & Human Services – based in North Carolina.
- Receptors LLC – Research opportunities in proteomics for undergraduates.
- U of MN Raptor Center – Part of the U of MN College of Veterinary Medicine; specializes in raptor care.
- Cannon Valley Veterinary Clinic – Pet and swine medicine in Northfield.
- Cleary Lake Equine/Small Animal Medical Center – Small clinic in Prior Lake.
- Flying Cloud Animal Hospital – Veterinary clinic in Eden Prairie.
- Minnesota Zoo – Biology/zoology programs in Apple Valley.
- Pine Ridge Pet Care – Two veterinary clinics in Andover and Ramsey.
- Brainerd Eye Care – Eye care clinic in rural MN.
- REM Minnesota – Services for individuals suffering from mental retardation and developmental disabilities; locations around MN.
General Search Resources
Where To Look-Piper Center Internship Search Resources
These organizations provide information, networking, and additional training opportunities and may offer student memberships at a discount.
American Institute of Biological Sciences
American Society of Plant Physiologists
American Society for Microbiology
Washington Biotechnology Biomedical Association
LINKS which provide additional information beyond internships in the following areas.
Wildlife and Fisheries
The American Medical Student Association - International Health Opportunities database where medical students, among others, can explore different types of health care opportunities being offered in countries throughout the world.