Experiential Learning Opportunities in Media Studies
Experiential learning opportunities are key when investigating careers in media studies, whether internships, job shadows, or informational interviews. Below is a list of locations where St. Olaf students have completed media-related experiential learning activities since 2000. We encourage you to think broadly as you search for a media or communications internship experience. Students in the past have interned with restaurants, local theaters, professional sports teams, hotel and resorts chains, museums, and other organizations that house a communications department. Use this list to get started and to spark your creativity there are thousands of organizations not mentioned here that could also offer you an opportunity!
Categories of organizations include:
- News Broadcasting
- Public Relations/Communications
- St. Olaf
- Video Production
- CBS Radio - National radio broadcasting company (160 stations across the US).
- Cities 97 Radio Station located in St. Louis Park, MN.
- Columbia Records Record label in New York City.
- 106.7 The Fish, WZFS Radio station near Chicago, IL.
- KDWB 101.3 FM Radio station located in Minneapolis, MN.
- KFAN Radio, AM 1130 Sports radio station in Minneapolis, MN.
- Machine Records Record company in Wisconsin.
- Minnesota Public Radio Locations across Minnesota.
- 90.9 FM WDCB Public Radio Non-commercial, educational radio station in northeastern Illinois.
- KARE11 News Twin Cities news station.
- KBJR Channel 6 News News station in Duluth, MN.
- KETV Channel 7 News station in Omaha, NE.
- KTTC-TV Local news station in Rochester, MN.
- NBC Universal Broadcasting internships located in New York City.
- St. Paul Neighborhood Network Non-profit media & community TV organization in St. Paul, MN.
- WCCO-TV Local & national news station in Minneapolis, MN.
- American Red Cross St. Paul Communications & marketing internships in St. Paul, MN.
- Brun Winter Reese, Inc. Public Relations Diverse public relations firm in Minneapolis, MN.
- Campbell Mithun Advertising agency in Minnesota, New York, and California.
- The Communicators Marketing firm in Myersville, MN.
- Estee Lauder Located in New York City.
- Horizon Urban Ministries Organization in San Diego, CA that gives aid to urban residents.
- Kocina Marketing Companies - communications and marketing internships
- Master Communications Group Media production company in Bloomington, MN.
- Minnesota House of Representatives Located in St. Paul, MN.
- Neuger Communications Group Inc. Communications firm in Northfield, MN.
- St. Paul Chamber Orchestra Marketing & public relations internships in St. Paul, MN.
- Vintage Band Music Festival Located in Northfield, MN.
- Alive Magazine – Alumni-run non-profit organization in Minneapolis focused on the promotion of women's media.
- Ashville Media Group – Contract publishing agency in Dublin, Ireland.
- Coffee House Press – Nonprofit literary publisher located in Minneapolis, MN.
- Fox Sports Net – Sports-related internships in Minneapolis, MN.
- Graywolf Press – Literary publishing company in St. Paul, MN.
- Hallmark Cards – Various corporate internships in Kansas City, MO.
- Hastings Star Gazette – Daily newspaper located in Hastings, MN.
- Her Own Words – Located in Madison, WI.
- Milkweed Editions – Non-profit literary publisher in Minneapolis, MN.
- Mpls. St. Paul Magazine – Located in Minneapolis, MN.
- MN Premiere Publications – Journalism publication offices based in Minneapolis, MN.
- New Moon Publishing – Book publishing company located in Duluth, MN.
- Northfield.org – Online community news & blog website.
- Northfield News – Local newspaper in Northfield, MN.
- Norwegian American Historical Association – Norwegian Heritage publishing organization in Northfield, MN.
- NorWords – Norwegian-language textbook creation in Bloomington, MN.
- Southwest Journal & Downtown Journal
- Speakeasy Magazine – Student-run journalism website serving Ohio University campus.
- Lion's Pause
- Manitou Messenger
- Media Relations
- Sports Information
- Theatre Department
- Association of Public Television Stations – Noncommercial television organization with nationwide locations.
- Dr. Phil – Daily nationwide talk show based in Los Angeles, CA.
- Mental Engineering – Discussion TV show based in St. Paul, MN.
- National Sports Center – Photo & video internships located in Blaine, MN.
- Univ. of Washington Athletics – Media-related internships located in Seattle, Washington.
- Video Impressions – Video production facility near Chicago, IL.
- Warner Bros. Pictures – Entertainment internships located at main office in New York City.
- Barbara Olson Center of Hope – Center of public aid located in Rockford, IL.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Twin Cities – Youth mentoring organization in St. Paul, MN.
- Concordia Language Villages – Language & cultural immersion camp in Moorhead, MN.
- Coon Rapids Development Group – Economic development organization in Coon Rapids, IA.
- dSPACE – Website to preserve digital work; located in Paderborn, Germany.
- Dodge Nature Center – Located in West Saint Paul, MN; this organization has made good use of St. Olaf students with media relations and communications interests in the past.
- GSD&M – Advertising agency located in Austin, TX.
- Higher Education Consortium of Urban Affairs – Non-profit organization in Minneapolis, MN.
- Hope Center – Help center for domestic abuse victims located in Faribault, MN.
- IMG Academies – Athletic schools in Bradenton, FL.
- Kocina Marketing Companies – Media relation & web development organization based in Minneapolis, MN.
- Northfield Historical Society – Various local internship opportunities.
- Pfizer, Inc. – Global healthcare organization located in Washington, D.C.
- St. Dominic School – Located in Northfield, MN.
- Teach for America – – Locations across the U.S.
- Tekserve – Private Apple computer repair company located in New York City.
- Tinderbox Music – Music promotions and distribution company in Minneapolis, MN.
GENERAL INTERNSHIP POSTINGS
Where To Look- Piper Center Internship Search Resources
These organizations provide information, networking, and additional training opportunities and may offer student memberships at a discount.
Society of Professional Journalists
Association for Interactive Media
National Association of College Broadcasters
National Press Club
National Press Photographers Association
Association for Women in Communications
Society of Environmental Journalists
LINKS which provide additional information beyond internships in the following areas.