Frequently Asked Questions
Why are we doing this?
Who can participate?
How do I register?
Who qualifies for the Free pedometers?
Where do I pick up my pedometer?
Who has to pay the $10 registration fee?
What are the dates of the program?
Why 10,000 steps a day?
What is our "destination"?
Where do we walk?
How do we report our steps?
Are there incentives for individuals?
What if I lose my pedometer?
- This is a workplace incentive program to promote a healthier work environment and healthier employees!
- If employees become aware of the distance they walk each day just by doing "regular" tasks, they would be motivated to walk even more. It's easier than you think!
- To promote camaraderie and support among co-workers.
- By incorporating a walking program into the work day and the workplace, we hope many employees will find an excuse to walk more- by taking the stairs rather than the elevator, by running campus errands themselves, and by taking a quick lunch break and spending the rest of the time walking.
- Employee involvement with this program will lead to fewer sick days, less insurance claims, improved overall health, reduced mental stress, and more productivity. This may be a long-term lifestyle change!
- Any current St. Olaf Employee and/or their spouse or significant other
- Any St. Olaf retiree and/or their spouse or significant other
- Go to the http://www.stolaf.edu/apps/wyy website. We are only taking online registrations.
- You need to pick the session for FAll 2010
- You will need to enter:
- Your name
- Your email (email is required for a valid registration)
- Whether or not you are a member of St. Olaf's BCBS health insurance plan
- Whether or not you have a working pedometer from a previous program (please use the pedometer you received in the previous program, replacements are available for $10, $5 if you exchange your broken one for a new one)
- Your acceptance of the Waiver statement (required)
- Any current or retired employee who is currently on St. Olaf's Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan new to the Walk Yah! Yah! program.
- At the HR Office (Admin, Room 208) from Friday, 9/17- Friday 9/24. Free leashes will also be available.
- Employees who are not currently on St. Olaf's Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan
- Retirees no longer on St. Olaf's Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan (including those on Medicare or the Emeriti Health Partners plan)
- Non-employee spouses or significant other, regardless of their insurance coverage
- There are no official dates of the Fall program but we suggest you might want to walk for ten weeks from Sept 20 - Nov 22.
- The Cooper Institute of Aerobics Research has determined that 10,000 steps per day is the amount needed to meet the established guidelines for physical activity set by the American College of Sports Medicine and the Centers for Disease Control. They also found that this amount of physical activity is effective for lowering body fat, improving blood pressure and increasing cardio respiratory (aerobic) fitness. If your goal is weight loss or weight maintenance, you will need 12,000-15,000 steps per day or more.
- The following web sites provide more information about why walking is great for your health:
Blue Cross/Blue Shield - http://www.do-groove.com/about
Diabetes Association - http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/
American Heart Association - http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/GettingHealthy_UCM_001078_SubHomePage.jsp
- There is no destination for the fall, it is your choice. Walk where your feet lead you.
- Anywhere and everywhere! When employees only have 15 minutes or a half hour to get some exercise, they can simply take a short walk and add up those steps! And the walking and pedometer use isn't restricted to your time on campus. Wear it all day. Take a walk in the evenings. Get "credit" for walking your dog! Some other ideas:
- Park your car in the furthest parking spot!
- Find the long way to the bathroom.
- Hold a “walking meeting” in your department.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- On the indoor track or on one of the treadmills at Tostrud!
- In your own office building! Hallways and stairs are great areas for walking.
- Around campus! Walk the sidewalks around the perimeter of the Quad. Walk the ring road.
- Walk to Buntrock to pick up or drop off your campus mail!
- Walk around the floors of the Regent's Hall! It's a BIG building!
- Enter your daily or weekly numbers on the step reporting form on the following website http://www.stolaf.edu/apps/wyy/submitsteps.cfm
- We suggest that you enter your steps online as you go on a daily or weekly basis. You can retroactively enter steps for whichever week of the 10 week program you need to submit steps.
NOTE: Your steps are confidental and are viewed by you and the Chair of the WYY Board only for statistical purposes and prize awards.
- Yes, your own incentive as you will feel better by exercising regularly. Due to the informal nature of the fall program, we will not have prizes but we will surely cheer you on your way!
- Any participants who lose their pedometer that is given to them at the start of the program will need to pay a $10 replacement fee to receive a new pedometer. Replacement pedometers will be available from the HR office in the Administration Building, Room 208.
What if my pedometer breaks?
- Any participants who break their pedometer can receive a replacement for $5 if they turn in their broken pedometer. Replacement pedometers will be available from HR. If you have lost screws to your ped and need more, email Mike Strand at email@example.com. Mike also has spare parts.
- If you need a new BATTERY, the number is CR2032 and can be purchased from either Menards, Target, Kmart, or Radio Shack.