The Health Professions CommitteeThe Health Professions Committee is comprised of faculty from the sciences and mathematics, and is chaired by Dr. Kevin Crisp (Biology Department). It provides both informal advising and a formal service to students interested in medical, dental, and many other health careers.
Current Committee Members
Here are some resources to help you explore the application process for health-related professional schools:
"What do I need to do to get in to medical school?" - written by Ted Johnson & Jean Porterfield
- MCAT 2015: Student information about taking the MCAT and applying to AMCAS
- Medicine: Medical school application process
- Medicine/Dentistry: Ted Johnson's Advising Manual: Preparation for a Career in Medicine
- Medicine/Nursing: Certified Nursing Assistant Information and Resources
- Osteopathic Medicine: an excellent, well-researched overview
- Osteopathic Medicine: The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) - Career Planning & Guides
- Pre-Health: Ted Johnson's Advising Manual: Finding Your Way to a Career in the Health Profession
- Pharmacy: Doug Beussman's pharmacy school advising resource
- Graduate School: Piper Center for Vocation and Career's general grad school resources
Applying to a Health Professional Program?
St. Olaf College and the University of Minnesota's Health Careers Center have teamed up to offer you a series of interactive, online workshops aimed at helping you with applying to health professional programs at the University of Minnesota or anywhere else in the country. The workshops include:
- Personal Statements for a Health Program
- Interviewing for a Health Program
- Planning for Medical School
- Pathways to Public Health
- Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety
Each of these workshops can be done on your own time, at your own pace. Access them 24/7/365. They are interactive and will ask you to do some work along the way, such as creating a medical school action plan or writing a draft of your personal statement. Take the first step! Current students, click below and log in using your St. Olaf id and password. Follow the prompts to the U of MN's jump page. Stop by the Piper Center in Tomson 270 anytime M-F, 9am-5pm for assistance.
|St. Olaf students, faculty & staff||St. Olaf alumni|
- Fill out an Interview Form (student use ONLY) to request a Health Professions Interview. You can type this form, but you will not be able to save it unless you have Adobe Writer; print, sign, and submit the form to Karen Renneke (RNS 336).
- Choose 3-5 faculty to fill out an Evaluation Form ((PDF file faculty use ONLY). Evaluation Form Document (faculty can use this if they wish to fill out the form and save the form, BUT please do not expand this form, I can ONLY use 2 pages, these go to the medical, dental and other health profession schools). Ask individuals receiving the forms to return them in approximately two weeks. This form is for all schools, including medical, dental, and other health profession related schools. Students may ask members of the HPC to fill out a form if they know the student well. Students should NOT use the forms for anyone outside of St. Olaf – those recommendations will factor in later in the process. You can type this form, but you will not be able to save it unless you have Adobe Writer; faculty should print, sign, and submit this form to Karen Renneke (RNS 336) in a confidential envelope.
- Print and submit an unofficial grade audit (which you can obtain from the Student Information System) to Karen Renneke (RNS 336).
If you would like to be on the St. Olaf College Health Professions emailing list, email Karen Renneke with the email address you wish to use as well as your graduation year.