St. Olaf Gmail Migration
Transfer email from a St. Olaf Gmail account to a personal Gmail account.
Migration requires a personal Gmail account. To sign up for a free Gmail account, visit http://gmail.com
Senior Account Deactivation:
- September 20 for students graduating spring semester.
- March 20 for students graduating fall semester.
1. Log in to your St. Olaf Gmail account using your St. Olaf username and password. Click on the Settingslink in the upper right corner, and then choose the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, as seen below.
2. Within the POP Download section, click the button to “Enable POP for all mail (even mail that’s already been downloaded).”
3. Click the Save Changesbutton at the bottom and log out of your St. Olaf Gmail account.
4. Log in to your personal Gmail account. Click on the Settings link in the upper right corner, then choose the Accounts and Import tab.
5. Under the Check mail using POP3 section, click the Add POP3 email account button. A pop-up window will appear.
6. Within the pop-up window, enter your full St. Olaf email address and click the Next Step button.
7. Enter your full St. Olaf email address as your Username. Enter your St. Olaf email password in the Password field. Click on the POP Server box and choose Other… from the bottom of the list. Enter “pop.gmail.com” as the POP Server.
8. Leave the default settings for the checkboxes and click the Add Account button.
9. Change the selection to No when prompted to send email from the St. Olaf address. This feature will not work once your St. Olaf account is deactivated.
10. Click the Finish button. Gmail will begin downloading past messages from your St. Olaf Gmail account and they will appear within your inbox as they load. This process can take a long time depending on the number of messages being migrated.
Your Gmail account will continue to check and download messages from your St. Olaf account until it is deactivated.