Setting up a VPN Connection on Macintosh OS X
To configure a VPN connection to the St. Olaf network:
- Click on the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Click on Network.
- Unlock the lock in the lower left corner to allow changes and enter your username and password when requested (you need to have administrative rights to unlock this control panel) Make sure you don't lock yourself out.
- Click the plus sign just above the lock to add a new network connection.
- From the Interface menu, select VPN.
- For the VPN Type, select PPTP.
- For the Service Name, enter St. Olaf VPN and click Create.
- For the Server Adress: enter vpn.stolaf.edu.
- For the Account Name: enter your username.
- Leave the other settings at their defaults and click Apply.
- Click the pop-up menu next to the minus sign button (it looks like a gear) and select Set Service Order...
- Drag "St. Olaf VPN" to the top of the list and click OK.
- Make sure Show VPN status in menu bar is checked and click Apply.
- Click the Connect button to test the connection. Enter your username and password when prompted.
To connect to the St. Olaf VPN:
- Click on the VPN icon in the menu bar (at the top of the screen) and click Connect St. Olaf VPN.
- Enter your username and password and click Connect.
To disconnect from the St. Olaf VPN:
- Click on the VPN icon in the menu bar (at the top of the screen) and click Disconnect St. Olaf VPN.