Important Location Information:
Nearest Larger City: Lakeville
Channel 4 WCCO
Channel 5 KSTP
Channel 9 KMSP
Channel 11 KARE
Tornado Watch means weather conditions are favorable for tornado development and tornados are possible in the area. Remain alert for approaching storms and be prepared to seek shelter.
Tornado Warning means a tornado has been spotted in the area either by spotters or weather radar. Move to your pre-designated place of safety immediately.
Tornado sirens are activated by the City of Northfield when the path of the tornado includes Northfield and/or the Northern part of Rice County. Note: Tornado sirens are tested by the City of Northfield the first Wednesday of every month at 1:00 pm. These sirens are intended to warn people outside of buildings and are not designed to be heard inside every building. St. Olaf College will also activate Ole Alert (the campus emergency notification system) to warn subscribers when a tornado warning has been issued.
What to do:
- When the tornado sirens sound or a tornado has been sighted, seek shelter immediately.
- Move to your pre-designated shelter. Assist those with special needs in getting to the shelter.
- Put as many walls between you and the outside as possible. Get under a sturdy table and use your arms to protect your head and neck. Stay away from windows and open space.
- If there is no basement, go to an interior room on the lowest level (closets, restrooms, interior hallways).
- In a high-rise building, go to a small interior room or hallway with no windows on the lowest floor possible.
- Get out of vehicles, trailers and mobile homes immediately and seek shelter in a nearby building.
- If caught outside with no shelter, lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands and arms.
- Never try to outrun a tornado in a vehicle. Tornados are erratic and move swiftly.
- Watch out for flying debris. Flying debris causes most of the injuries and fatalities.
These are heavy rain storms that include thunder, lightning and the possibility of small and large hailstorms. Remain indoors away from windows to avoid lightning strikes and hail injuries.