Please note: This is NOT the most current catalog.

Continuing Education, Special, and Part-Time Students


St. Olaf College permits enrollment on a part-time basis in most regular college classes at a reduced rate of tuition. Prospective continuing education students must comply with the following:

Continuing education students must:

  • be 25 years of age or older and non-degree seeking or be a St. Olaf graduate;
  • Register on a space-available basis;
  • Register no earlier than the first day of classes with signatures from faculty.

Continuing education students who later decide to become degree-seeking may count toward a degree only seven (7) courses taken under the continuing education guidelines.

Persons wishing to take courses as continuing education students must obtain and complete the appropriate paperwork in the Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising prior to attending class. Any questions should be directed to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising.

Regular degree-seeking students registered full- or part-time in the traditional college program are not permitted to take courses at the reduced rate as continuing education students.


Special students are defined as short-term (one year or less) students who do not plan to graduate from St. Olaf and are usually part-time. High school honor students are one category of special students; continuing education students are also considered special students. Anyone not in the categories mentioned above who wishes to register as a special student must contact the Office of the Registrar and Academic Advising for forms and submit transcripts from any high school or college previously attended.

Special students always register at the registrar’s window on the first day of classes up to the last day to add. Tuition must be paid in full at the time of registration.

Part-time degree-seeking students who intend to graduate from St. Olaf and who wish to register for fewer than three course credits must have permission to be enrolled part-time from the Dean of Students Office.