The mathematics program at St. Olaf is nationally recognized for innovative and effective teaching, for scholarship, and for service to the profession. We see mathematics as interesting, important, useful, and appropriate for students with a wide variety of interests. Welcome to our mathematical community.
What's Happening in St. Olaf Math?
Keep yourself updated about the department. Check out the available MSCS Mess issues here.
Monday, March 22nd Zajj Daugherty, a candidate for the math professor position, will be giving a talk at 3:30 in RNS 210.
- Class of 2010: There will be 79 mathematics majors graduating in the class of 2010 -- one of the biggest classes ever, and the 2nd largest major (behind Biology) in 2010. Congratulations to the students, parents, and faculty who helped this happen!
- Goodbyes: At graduation we say goodbye not only to 79 mathematics majors, but also to Professors Delia Letang and Mike Weimerskirch. Delia will begin a tenure-track position at Century College (part of the MNSCU system) in the fall, and Mike will be working closer to home at Macalester College. Thanks to both of them for their excellent service to St. Olaf.
- See you laters: Professors Olaf Hall-Holt, Bruce Hanson, and Kay Smith will be on sabbatical next academic year. Olaf and Kay will be gone the entire year and Bruce will be gone during spring.
- Award winners: Nathan Clement '10, Mat Deram '11, and Vladimir Sotirov '12 took first place in the 18th Annual Konhauser Problemfest, held February 27th at the University of St. Thomas; they scored 85 points of 100. Better still, the trophy for the competition returns to St. Olaf for the second straight year. The Konhauser contest, named for the late Macalester mathematics professor Joe Konhauser, pits 3-person teams against challenging problems. No fewer than 18 Ole mathematics majors participated this year, including Mckenzie West, Amelia Stonesifer, Cathryn Holm, Bjorn Wastvedt, Thu Tran, Cameron Marcott, Trevor Knapp, Thomas Hegland, Benjamin Simmons, Daniel Bryant, Warren Shull, Joshua Wilson, Ling Gu, Yan Jing, and Yujie Li. Congratulations to all.
- MSCS Mess: Read the latest issue.
- Alumni: View profiles of recent alumni/ae.