Please note: This is NOT the most current catalog.
Requirements for B.A. Degree Candidates
General Graduation Requirements
The equivalent of 35 full course credits through a combination of full-credit and fractional-credit courses.
2. Residency Requirement
- Seventeen of the 35 full course credits required for graduation must be taken through St. Olaf College. This may include St. Olaf-sponsored off-campus programs.
- The senior residency requirement consists of registration through St. Olaf either (a) during the last two semesters and Interim preceding the conferring of the degree or (b) for at least nine of the last 12 full course credits. For instance, seniors may spend one of their last terms at another institution only if a maximum of three full course credits are applied to the St. Olaf degree. A senior may spend the final semester on a St. Olaf-sponsored off-campus program. See, however, PARTICIPATION IN COMMENCEMENT.
3. January Interim
At least three of the required 35 full-course credits must be earned in three separate January Interims. An Interim may be taken on campus, through a St. Olaf off-campus Interim program, or through an approved Interim exchange with another 4-1-4 college. Transfer students admitted with at least sophomore standing must complete two Interims. After having successfully completed two Interims, senior participators may satisfy the third Interim requirement by means of registering for a summer course taken during a St. Olaf summer session after graduation.
4. Grade Points and Grade Point Average
An average grade of C (2.00 on a 4.00 system) for all courses taken for the usual letter grades. See GRADE POINT AVERAGE in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog for details.
5. Course Level
Satisfactory completion of 18 full course credits above Level I, courses numbered 200 and higher.
A course can earn only its assigned level. It cannot be raised in level as the result of extra studies, assignments, or performance.
6. Graded Courses
A minimum of 24 full course credits out of 35 must be graded.
A sliding scale is used if not all work is taken at St. Olaf or if credit is earned through special programs such as Advanced Placement. As a rule, two-thirds of the courses taken at St. Olaf must be graded. Sophomore transfer students need a minimum of 18 graded courses and junior transfer students a minimum of 13 graded courses. Details are available from the registrar.
All students should be aware of the restrictions on S/U and P/N grades.
Students studying on St. Olaf off-campus programs should refer to GRADED AND UNGRADED COURSES in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog for details about how this graduation requirement is affected by off-campus programs.
7. Major — 8 or More Full Course Credits
Objective: To study a discipline or an interdisciplinary field in depth.
Requirement: A minimum of eight full course credits in a disciplinary or interdisciplinary major.Specific requirements for each major are listed in the preface to course offerings in each department andinterdisciplinary program. All majors include writing requirements. Many departments/programs requiremore than the minimum eight courses for a major; they may also require comprehensive examinations or papers. (See MAJORS)
8. Credits Outside the Major
Students must take a total of at least 21.00 full course credits outside the department or program certifying ach major. Credits outside the major department or program include full (1.00) credit courses plus partial (.25 and .50) credit courses.
9. Completion of Incomplete Grades
A student with an incomplete on his/her academic record may participate in Commencement if all other requirements for graduation have been met (see PARTICIPATION IN COMMENCEMENT). Only after a final grade has been recorded for the course, however, will a degree be conferred and a diploma issued.